Sunday 9 December 2012

Vegan Meatloaf

I never really liked meatloaf for the brief time when I ate meat, but every once in a while I like to make the below recipe when I feel like having an easy and tasty "meatloaf", especially when the weather gets a little colder.  This recipe makes it easy to make good comfort food at home.  I got the recipe off a website some time ago and I have made some adjustments to make it better and better for you.  I added veggies to give is more nutritional value.  It uses TVP for some variety besides tofu, which we have been eating a lot of lately.

2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups TVP
2 cups bread crumbs
1 zucchini, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 cup tomato sauce or ketchup (or 1/4 sauce, 1/2 ketchup)
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
2 cups vegetable broth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil and cook onion until soft.  Add garlic and cook for one minute.


















Mix all other ingredients together in a large bowl.  Let stand for 10 minutes until broth is absorbed.
















Pack the mixture in a greased loaf pan.  Top with a little tomato sauce; make sure the top is covered so the loaf does not dry out.  Bake for 1 hour.
















My boyfriend likes to make his mom's meatloaf sauce to go on top.  It adds a nice tang to the meatloaf.

1 cup ketchup
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp mustard














Enjoy!


M

No comments:

Post a Comment